At CaroMont Women's Health - Maternal-Fetal Medicine, families are
counseled about the specific problem they are facing during pregnancy.
We develop a management plan and provide comprehensive care. The knowledge
of a particular problem in advance may benefit and improve the outcome
for both mom and baby. We offer Advanced Obstetrical Ultrasounds, Fetal
Genetic Screening and Testing, and consultations. All patients are referred
by their OB/GYN provider.
What is a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist?
A Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist is an individual who upon graduation
from Medical School completes a 4 year residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
followed by 2-3 years of fellowship training. Maternal-Fetal Medicine
fellowship training provides additional education and practical experience
to gain special competence in various obstetrical, medical and surgical
complications of pregnancy.
Reasons to Visit a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist
- Non-invasive prenatal testing
- Genetic screening and testing
- An abnormal finding on a sonogram
- Advanced maternal age
- Multiple gestation
- Exposure to medications, radiation, alcohol or drugs
- Abnormal maternal serum screening
- Maternal disease such as diabetes, hypertension or epilepsy
- Previous poor obstetrical outcome
- Preconceptual counseling