Resources for Research Participants
Websites about participating in Clinical Trials
Questions to ask before joining a study*
Anyone interested in participating in a clinical study should know as much
as possible about the study and feel comfortable asking the research team
questions about the study, the related procedures, and any expenses. The
following questions might be helpful during such a discussion. Answers
to some of these questions are provided in the
- What is being studied?
- Why do researchers believe the intervention being tested might be effective?
Why might it not be effective? Has it been tested before?
- What are the possible interventions that I might receive during the trial?
- How will it be determined which interventions I receive (for example, by chance)?
- Who will know which intervention I receive during the trial? Will I know?
Will members of the research team know?
- How do the possible risks, side effects, and benefits of this trial compare
with those of my current treatment?
- What will I have to do?
- What tests and procedures are involved?
- How often will I have to visit the hospital or clinic?
- Will hospitalization be required?
- How long will the study last?
- Who will pay for my participation?
- Will I be reimbursed for other expenses?
- What type of long-term follow-up care is part of this trial?
- If I benefit from the intervention, will I be allowed to continue receiving
it after the trial ends?
- Will results of the study be provided to me?
- Who will oversee my medical care while I am in the trial?
- What are my options if I am injured during the study?
*Taken from the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes
of Health, Department of Health and Human Services at
Contact for questions or concerns
Current, former, or potential research participants can contact the following
with questions or concerns regarding research at CaroMont Health. Research
compliance-related questions or concerns can also be addressed to the
Human Protections Administrator, Accreditation & Regulatory Affairs:
Institutional Official for Research, Legal Affairs:
The confidential CaroMont Health Corporate Compliance Hotline