CaroMont Health today was named one of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission. CaroMont was recognized based on data reported about evidence-based clinical processes that are shown to improve care for certain conditions.
“The Joint Commission recognized our quality measures in heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care,” said Jan Mathews, CaroMont Health’s Assistant Vice President of Quality Management. “At CaroMont Health, we are committed to positive patient outcomes and this national recognition is particularly rewarding in that it addresses quality, accountability and transparency.”
CaroMont’s recognition is contained in “Improving America’s Hospitals” an annual publication released today by The Joint Commission. These hospitals represent the top 14 percent nationwide of those accredited by The Joint Commission.
“We know that what matters most to patients is safe, effective care,” said Joint Commission President Mark R. Chassin, M.D., FACP, M.P.P., M.P.H. “The Joint Commission is shining a light on the top-performing hospitals, such as CaroMont Health, that have achieved excellence on a number of vital measures of quality of care.”
The Top Performers on Key Quality Measures program is designed to be an incentive for better performance on accountability measures and to support organizations in their quest to do better. The Joint Commission is the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
About CaroMont Health –
CaroMont Health in Gastonia, North Carolina, is a regional, independent, not-for-profit health care system and nationally-recognized “value-based” health care provider (high quality, low cost). CaroMont Health is the only hospital in the region named by Thomson Reuters as a 100 Top Hospital for quality care and is one of two HealthGrades’ Clinical Excellence recipients in North Carolina. CaroMont Health is among an elite group of 22 selected participants (out of 3,000 national hospitals/systems) engaged in demonstrating “Accountable Care Organizations” (hospitals focused on accountability for highest outcomes at the lowest cost for individualized patient care). CaroMont is engaged in innovative Chronic Disease Management pilot projects in partnership with local and regional employers, is implementing innovative prevention and wellness focused on individual and population health, and has a unique national partnership with GE and Sg2 to reduce costs and create integrated and coordinated systems of care. CaroMont Health also is among a select few hospitals to be granted a cardiology and cardiac surgery affiliation with Columbia University Medical Center in New York—a clinical partnership that provides patient access to world-class clinical guidance and research trials. CaroMont Health recently received full, three-year accreditation with Commendation Level status from the Commission on Cancer CaroMont was recently upgraded by S&P to an AA bond-rating category—based on key rating factors that include: exceptional quality and clinical outcomes, excellence in governance and management structure, comprehensive information technology infrastructure, engaged excellence and integrated medical staff, fiscal accountability, operating performance, strong financial position and low cost structure.
CaroMont Health System encompasses Gaston Memorial Hospital with 435 beds; Courtland Terrace, a 96-bed skilled nursing community; Gaston Hospice, which includes the inpatient 12-bed Robin Johnson House; and CaroMont Medical Group, an extensive network of physician practices in five counties and two states with nearly 200 employed physicians. The CaroMont Heart Center provides a full range of life-saving cardiac care, including open heart surgery. Additionally, the CaroMont Cancer Center provides advanced 3-D radiation treatment planning and chemotherapy. An expansive, surgical suite offers the latest advancements such as stereotactic technology, which utilizes computer simulation, microscopic surgery and x-ray images to achieve pinpoint accuracy. CaroMont also offers a level III neonatal intensive care unit for high risk infants and a pre-adolescent psychiatric center. CaroMont Health is proactively engaged in achieving its vision: To be a nationally-recognized leader and valued partner in promoting individual health and vibrant communities.
CaroMont Health employs 3,800 health care professionals, including a medical staff membership of 455. CaroMont Health is located at 2525 Court Drive in Gastonia, N.C., and can be reached at (704) 834-2000. Additional information is available at www.caromonthealth.org.
CaroMont Quality Awards
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care
- CIGNA highest quality rating for Patient Outcomes in Angioplasty, Cardiac
- Catheterization, Colon Surgery, Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, Craniotomy-Adult,
- Disc Surgery, Heart Attack, and Spinal Fusion
- Top Performer status (3rd highest score among all participating U.S hospitals, and highest score of any NC hospital) in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and Premier
- Healthcare Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration project
- Aetna – Recognized Institute of Quality Cardiac Care
- Advanced Certification in Stroke Care from the Joint Commission
- Advanced Certification in Diabetes Care from the Joint Commission
- Hospital Value Index: Top 100 Best in Value Hospital
- American Heart Association Heart Failure Gold Plus Performance Achievement Awards.
- Certification in Hip and Knee Surgery from the Joint Commission
- Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award from College of Surgeons
- ACS MIDAS+ Platinum Quality Award Winner for Excellence in Clinical Performance
- HealthGrades – 7 five-star designations in Back and Neck Surgery (spinal fusion), Heart Valve Replacement Surgery, Sepsis Care, Respiratory Failure Care, Pulmonary Care and Gastrointestinal Procedures & Surgeries. This includes an award for excellence in care of the Back and Neck Surgery
- Cleverley + Associates Five-Star Honor for high community value
- Among only 6 percent of national hospitals to achieve Magnet recognition status for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Association
- Rated as a top hospital in the Charlotte metropolitan area by U.S. News & World Report
- 2010 Thomson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals award winner
- 2011 Becker’s Hospital Review: 65 Great Community Hospitals